The purpose of CABEF is to advance education by providing scholarships, bursaries, and awards to students enrolled in agricultural or agri-business related programs at a university, college or trade school in Canada by awarding seven $2,500 scholarships annually to Canadian students.
The Canadian agriculture and food industry is an exciting and growing field. Over the last few years, the federal government has identified agri-food as one of six Economic Strategy Tables that will drive our economy over the next decade. But the sector cannot grow without more young people involved, from farm to fork.
How can we ensure that agriculture will continue to be innovative, a key economic driver, and maintain Canada’s position as a world leader in the industry?
By supporting the next generation who will make it happen!
Board of Directors
Contact us to learn more about our Board of Directors and potential openings.
Mary Thornley Management
- Former Account Executive, AdFarm & Kahntact Marketing
- Executive Director, CAMA (Canadian Agri-Marketing Association)
- Member, National Agri-Marketing Association (NAMA)
Communications Manager, North America and Europe, Alltech
Alltech is a leading global biotechnology company whose mission is to improve the health and performance of people, animals and plants through natural nutrition and scientific innovation.
- Agriculture marketing communications professional with 17 years experience working with companies such as AdFarm, Woodruff Sweitzer, UFA and Bayer CropScience
- Member of the Calgary Stampede International Agriculture & Agri-Food Committee
- Advanced Agricultural Leadership Program (AALP) Class 16 participant
- Member of Canadian Agri-Marketing Association (CAMA); Board Member 2011 – 2016
Communications Manager, CropLife Canada
CropLife Canada represents the Canadian manufacturers, developers, and distributors of pest control and modern plant breeding products.
- Agriculture communications professional with 10+ years experience working with companies such as AgScape, Agriculture in the Classroom Canada and BC Agriculture in the Classroom.
- Nuffield Canada Scholar (2015), studying agriculture career education
- Member of Agriculture in the Classroom Canada’s Board Advisory Committee
- Mentor, UBC Faculty of Land and Food Systems
Publisher, Top Crop Manager/Potatoes in Canada
Top Crop Manager and Potatoes in Canada are two specialty agricultural trade publications focused on field crop and potato production across Canada. We offer insights and in-depth information on plant breeding, research and development, fertility, seed, crop protection, precision agriculture, technology, and business management. Trusted content reaches our targeted audience via print, website, webinars, podcasts, and events.
- Vice-Chair, Ag Women Manitoba
- Current member of CAMA, Manitoba chapter
- ACC graduate – Agribusiness and Business Administration
2020 CABEF Scholarship Recipient
Undergraduate student at the University of Alberta taking a BSc in Agriculture with a major in Sustainable Agriculture Systems
- Involved in 4-H for 8 years and currently a 4-H Alberta Ambassador
- Youth Ag Summit Delegate
- Philanthropy officer for Ceres Alberta Women’s Fraternity
- Secretary for the University of Alberta Agriculture Club
Manager Special Projects, Farm Credit Canada
Farm Credit Canada is Canada’s leading agriculture lender providing flexible, competitively priced financing, management software, information and knowledge specifically designed for the agriculture and agri-food industry.
- Marketing professional with over 20 years of experience working at Conexus Credit Union, MNP, Viterra, and Farm Credit Canada
- Proud Agvocate who led the Agriculture More Than Ever cause (2015-2018)
- Current member of the Canadian Agri-Marketing Association (CAMA), Saskatchewan chapter
Account Director, AdFarm
AdFarm is a catalyst for the advancement of agriculture. AdFarm is a North American communications and marketing agency focused entirely on agriculture.
- Past Board member, 4-H Foundation of Alberta
- Past President, Alberta CAMA
- Current member, Canadian Agri-Marketing Association (CAMA) Alberta Chapter
Communications associate at Zel Agence de communication
Undergraduate student, Université de Sherbrooke, Communications and marketing
- Community volunteer
- Freelance social media manager and writer
- Communications associate with one year experience working at SADC du Suroît-Sud and Zel Agence de communication
- Independent photographer with a two week exposition at the Henry Lehmann Gallery (2019)
Agricultural communications faculty member, University of Illinois
- Three decades of agricultural communications leadership at the University of Guelph, Canada’s Food University
- First Canadian president of the 5,000-member International Federation of Agricultural Journalists, active in 53 countries
- Creator of the University of Guelph’s Students Promoting Awareness of Research Knowledge (SPARK) experiential education program
- Freelance journalist with numerous local, national and international media outlets, active on social media as @TheUrbanCowboy